Monday 9 May 2011

Sounds

A couple of songs that we have been getting on recently.

At church we have played a few times this simple tune which a couple of our team picked up at a World Trumpet Mission (our affiliate church network, as it were): Set A Fire.  A very simple song, with two refrains, which can be repeated round and round; we've used it in the latter part of worship,where we have broken through already.  "There's no place I'd rather be, than in here in Your love" comes as a response to God after He has responded to our worship by drawing close to us.  Then "Set A Fire Down In My Soul, cos I Want More Of You" expresses our plea: to be set alight with a passion for God, for holiness, for righteousness.  Every time we've played the song there's been a real sense of anointing.  Musically it's really simple, with the rhythm from acoustic guitar backed up with either the congas or a simple phrase on the snare drum with snares off, with simple kick and hi-hat pedal.  Great great song, my song of the now.

The other song we've (Stel and I, that is) been enjoying is I Worship You, a performance by Travis Cottrell.  We sang this at the church prayer meeting once or twice; again very simple, repetitions of a phrase, this version uses key-changes and musical build, and especially the choir; the building soaring music encourages a similar response in the worshipper: as the truths we sing further penetrate us, our declaration in praise grows firmer.

So two simple songs that carry a lot of anointing.  Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you seriously suck for not telling me you had a new blog. I accidentally found it. So there. And yes, I did call you dude.

    However, now I have found it I will be back. And in summary:

    The forgiveness post challenged, inspired and impressed me. The cricket posts would have bored me to tears if I had bothered to finish them. The Emmanuel poost made me want to hug you and Stelsby and look forward to scooching my nephew's cheeks in heaven although while I imagine his cheeks to be Jo-esque and therefore muchos scoochable I am not too sure how theologically sound cheek-scooching in heaven is...

    This post I will endeavour to remember should your niece ever allow us to play any songs that aren't "Our God is Greater" - she seriously knows what she likes... But the waving and "singing" are kinda cute and it's a guarantee to get her to sleep so can't complain.

    Love ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote the longest comment on your blog yesterday and blogger has lost it - together with the longest ever post on the royal wedding on my blog. Boo sucks. It was a good comment as well... Funny, moving, called you dude, summarised my thoughts on your whole new blog and everything. Shame you will never get to read it. Dag and nabbit.

    ReplyDelete